- Written by the hindu
- Hits: 1438
How a stray dog helped CRPF foil Fidayeen attack on camp
It alerts two jawans who took on the attackers despite a power outage early in the morning
An adopted stray dog in the CRPF’s Sumbal camp helped in thwarting a major suicide strike by four foreign terrorists early on Monday in Kashmir’s Bandipora district.
Constable K. Dinesh Raja, 25, who was manning a picket at the gates of the the 45 Battalion camp that houses hundreds of personnel,toldThe Hindu that the dog started barking around 3 a.m. at the bushes after seeing some movement there. The four terrorists hiding there were killed later.
read the whole story here
- Written by Anando Das Gupta
- Hits: 108
Its a great step by the Indian Government to take such a bold move and pass such strong laws for protection of all kinds of animals. Needless to say that many people worked very on the laws and the drafts and so many nameless people who pushed for the laws to become a reality.
Some points to be noted include the following:
• The Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (Care and Maintenance of Case Property Animals) Rules, 2017 says, “If the accused is convicted, or pleads guilty, the magistrate shall deprive him of the ownership of animal and forfeit the seized animal to the infirmary, pinjrapole, SPCA, Animal Welfare Organisation or Gaushala already having custody for proper adoption or other disposition.”
• According to these new rules, dog breeders and owners of aquariums and pet shops that sell fish must register with the animal-welfare board of their respective states.
• No aquarium can keep, house, or display “any cetaceans, penguins, otters, manatees, sea turtles and marine turtles, artificially coloured fish, any species of fish tank animals listed in the Wildlife (Protection) Act, 1972 (53 of 1972), or any species listed under the Appendix I of the Convention of International Trade in Endangered Species”.
• The sale of camels and all types of cattle, including buffaloes, for slaughter via animal markets isn’t allowed. The sale of cattle and camels can be made only to a person who carries valid documents proving that he or she is an “agriculturist”.
• Certain types of cruelty that commonly take place at markets will no longer be allowed, including hot branding and cold branding, mutilating animals’ ears, and force-feeding animals fluid to make them appear fatter in order to fetch a better price.
Unfortunately, the new rules don’t prevent the dairy industry from continuing to supply animals to the beef industry. India’s beef industry is massive because its supplier, the dairy industry, is massive. Read more about the link between beef and dairy foods here.
And remember, fish in aquariums suffer just as animals in zoos do. Please don’t patronise aquariums. If no one visits these sad displays, they will eventually be forced to close.
Regulating dog breeders will still not stop them from producing litters of puppies, and every time someone buys a dog from a breeder or pet shop, a homeless pup loses his or her chance at finding a good home. We can stop the cycle of animal homelessness and save lives by adopting from a shelter or the street instead of buying animals from breeders or pet shops.
Take the pledge to adopt and never buy.
- Written by Anando Das Gupta
- Hits: 322
on 31st May 2017 , some residents and goons together in Mehrauli tried to kill the strays in their locality. One local resident who looks after the strays when tried to intervene got abused , hit and threatened. He got the dogs in his home to save them from the goons and called the police but NO POLICE SHOWED UP TO HELP. No matter how strong you make the laws of this country, when the law keepers don't care to ensure its application , nothing will ever change. Next day Mr Pravesh Kumar , the resident along with another local animal lover Mr. Sanjay Mehlawat went to the police station to file a complaint however they did not file an FIR or even take any action. They only filed a daily diary entry. We sincerely hope they will take stringent action eventually.
Here is the copy of the DD entry.